The OSC was established in 1947 as a non-profit organization. The OSC was a privately supported organization to act as the central headquarters for all Oklahoma Safety Activities. The OSC played a vital role in the safety field by doing the following:
- Coordinated safety activities in all fields.
- Promoted better legislation for accident prevention.
- Improved engineering and enforcement techniques on both state and local levels.
- Disseminated safety material to newspapers, radios and television stations, magazines, industry, and safety conscious individual organizations.
- Conducted conferences and meetings designed to eliminate the cause of accidental injury and death.
- Acted as state contact for the National Safety Council.
- Established and guide local safety council's.
- Advised cities, businesses and individuals on safety problems.
Today, the OSC has a membership base of more than 700 businesses throughout our state. Some of our members include Integris Health, Sinclair, AEP/PSO, The Noble Foundation, Johnson Controls, Loves Travel Stops & Country Stores, Chesapeake Energy, OG&E, ONEOK, Bama Companies, Dolese Bros. Co, Sunoco, The Williams Companies and OPUBCO.